Thursday, June 3, 2010

Balancing school, work, and money...

I have a little over 2 weeks left in my women’s study course and my organic chemistry officially started on Tuesday of this week! I was completely devastated when I realized that we were starting the semester on chapter 10 and even more worried that I hadn’t taken chemistry in five years. Five whole years? Seriously? Where in the world does the time go? So to ease my mind and enter into the class as prepared as possible, I spend 2 weeks literally reading and studying the first 9 chapters of the book. Talk about a lot of information! Granted it was all review, but you’d be surprised at how much you actually forget when you’re not using the info on a daily basis. I am so proud of myself for doing that and I am now a lot more confident in my ability to pass this new class. My third and final summer course, philosophy, is scheduled to start in just three more weeks and I’m ready to bring it on. I have to admit…I’m kicking butt at this school stuff! I’m taking more units during the summer semester than most take during a standard one, and I’m surprisingly not over whelmed like I worried I would be. I was really concerned that I would have a difficult time adjusting, but in reality, it’s been just the opposite. I have been able to stay nearly a week ahead of the syllabus in my WS course and chemistry has been even more impressive. Who says a woman can’t do it all?!

I will admit though, I don’t think my brain functions quite as well as it used to! I’m not sure if it’s the lack of sleep I’ve had over these past two years or if I’m just getting older and my brain wants to be lazy. I am one of those women who absolutely swears by the phrase “mommy brain.” It begins during pregnancy and because of all the hormonal imbalances, it’s said to be perfectly normal if you space out and forget what it is you were trying to do in the first place. But now I think it’s even worse! I often find myself reading and afterwards wonder what the heck I just read because my mind is at 50 other places at once! I suppose that’s a part of being a wife and mother. THERE IS ALWAYS MORE WORK TO BE DONE!

I just lost a daycare child and I’m back on the hunt to find another little guy or girl to join our daily fun! However, this week has been FANTASTIC and I have been able to spend more quality time with Lucas than ever before. (Well, at least in these more adventurous toddler days!)I’m really starting to re-evaluate if daycare is actually something I want to do while finishing school, but I honestly don’t see any other options. I will under no circumstances put Lucas in alternative care, and the only way I can see to make money from home is by doing this. Don’t get me wrong…I love watching children, but I think I’m loving my freedom even more! Can’t we just live in a world that DOESN’T revolve around money?! I know that I am a wonderful hands-on mother who tries to give my son everything he needs, but I hate feeling confined to my home. Alaska is such a beautiful place and the explorations are endless. I know Lucas is still young, but I really want the freedom to take him anywhere I please without having to plan it out with other parents. I wish I could find a happier balance to staying home and being a student. I suppose we would be just fine without my income contributions, but I feel more secure ensuring we are at a stable level and don’t need to stress about the basics. Does money really equal happiness? In my case I'm leaning more towards the "yes."

No comments: