Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Monsters & Nightmares

By now I've nearly lost count of the nights that Lucas refuses to sleep in his room...I think we're on night 14 or 15. He's been fussing quite a bit when we put him down, but what's been even stranger is that we wake to find him sleeping on the couch...EVERY MORNING! Although he doesn't feel the need to wake us up, he brings his blankets and pillow out to the living room and makes himself a nice cozy spot on the couch. This has also blended into his nap time routine where he will sleep for an hour, wake up screaming, come out to the living room, and instantly fall back to sleep. I was finally able to get him to open up to me yesterday and you would never believe what he said...MONSTERS! How on earth does my 22mo old child know about monsters??

Unsure if I had heard him correctly, I asked, "Monster?" He immediately shouted "Yeah, in there. I see it. Room. BIG ONE!" At this point I was completely speechless as my son was pointing into his bedroom and yelling "I SEE IT...IN THERE." How horrible is this? Daddy took him to his room and asked him to show him where, and Lucas was yelling monster repeatedly while pointing to the closet. We did a walk through and showed him that there are no monsters hiding in his room, but he still insists that there are.

There have even been occasions that we've found him on the floor. I was hoping this was just a phase, but it appears that something is really bothering him. Looks like we are going to need to dramatize a monster extraction and cross our fingers that it works. I think the next step is going to be to clear out his room of everything that he doesn't use/play with anymore. Hopefully a change in scenery will help...plus it's an excuse to redecorate (which I've been begging Levi to let me do for months!) Big boy room, here we come!

No comments: