Wednesday, September 15, 2010

World Beach Project

In my Art Appreciation class we were asked to join in on the World Beach Project that is being hosted by the V&A Museum in London. I had such a fun time completing this assignment alongside my amazing boys and wanted to share our creation!


McHugh Creek is just one of the many stunning creeks flowing through Anchorage, Alaska. The waterfall is not only beautiful to look at, but its soothing sounds allow you to feel in tune with the surrounding nature.



The rocks were fairly uniform in color and I was immediately inspired by the waterfall to help me with my creation. I decided to give the rocks a bit of contrast using one of nature’s most powerful elements; water.


The variation in color seen between the wet and the dry rocks was exactly what I was looking for! The color change reminded me of the differences of day and night. Although they did not change physical shape, the visual alteration was strikingly noticeable. Going off of this wet/dry concept, I used the rocks to reconstruct the images of a sun and a moon; the images most often thought of when speaking in terms of night/day or light/dark. Because they are opposites, I constructed the sun with a dry center and expanding wet “rays”, while giving the moon a dry outline and darker body.


My project was accepted and placed onto their website's gallery for the world to view! I highly encourage everyone to join in. The gallery has some beautiful projects from around the globe. Yours could be next!

No comments: