Monday, December 12, 2011

Just keep pinning!

What do I love more than Pinterest itself? Having an amazingly handy husband to build me everything I ask of him!

It's no secret. I'm an absolute addict when it comes to Pinterest. I've mellowed out recently in these last weeks only because I had to make myself stop. I was spending too much time staring at my phone that it started giving me headaches and keeping me awake at night. I realized I had a serious problem when I caught myself (multiple times) still browsing the site after nursing the baby back to sleep. When you're sitting awake pinning things at 3am while the rest of your house is asleep...you've got problems.

But I honestly do feel like the ideas that we've recreated have bettered my life and the look and feel of my home. Truly. I love being organized and efficient and I feel that Pinterest has aided me in both of those areas.

Not only did I get all of the inspiration for Lucas' pirate party from Pinterest, but I have also been trying out lots of new recipes and wonderful arts and crafts ideas for Lucas. And when I need a good laugh, I browse through the humor section. Although I quickly had to ban that because I found myself laughing so hard that I'd wake up my little nursling when I was suppose to be getting him back to sleep. And trying not to laugh always resorted in this awkward barking/snorting noise and a spastic chest from it's inability to breathe normally. I always feel lame for thinking something so stupid could possibly be so funny...but then I remind myself that someone else must have thought the same thing or else it wouldn't be pinned, right?!

I love pictures and never felt that I had an effective way to display a large amount. My home is fairly small and I didn't want to over stimulate the walls with frames in every direction. When I saw this idea, I instantly fell in love! It took my husband a whole 10 minutes to build, too. We painted it black and I went to the local thrift shop for miscellaneous frames. I wanted an array of mismatched frames, but in the same color, and I think it turned out great! I want to build another one for my room now.

Laundry has always been a stress factor for me. I feel like it's a never ending chore and I get so frustrated that my husband constantly throws his clothes on the floor. When we arranged Levin's room, we moved all of the office furniture into our bedroom and that left little to no space for a laundry basket. (which always seemed to be overflowing anyways). So this idea sold me the moment I saw it! Not only is my laundry now kept in one specific area, but it gets sorted into lights, darks, and Levi's work clothes (which I don't like to have touching my clothes!) PERFECT. I love having the washer and dryer elevated too because I'm no longer bending over and killing my back. I wish we would have done this a long time ago!

Lucas loves loves loves to read. Honestly, he would have me read 100 books a day if I allowed it. I knew we've accumulated quite the stash over these past 3 years, but I didn't realize exactly how much until I sorted through. I decided to pull out all of the 'baby' books and move those over to Levin's room, but Lucas still had more books than I knew what to do with. I loved the Ikea spice rack idea, but since we don't have one here I decided to go with the rain gutter bookshelves. And boy did I chose right! I absolutely love how it turned out. Not only does it make his room look bigger, but the books are displayed in a more engaging way.

Lucas' shelves turned out so well that we decided to put some smaller ones in Levin's room, too!

So even though I feel like I've waisted hours of my life sucked into this addicting site, I at least have some great things to show for it. Thank you hubby!

1 comment:

Samantha said...

thank you for sharing these! We love our rain gutter bookshelves, but need to re-do them. I love those shelves you did with the frames, It hink I might do that in my family room. I have so much wall space I don't know what to do with it!