Sunday, April 22, 2012

1 down, 4 to go!

Woohoo...I survived the first semester of nursing school! What a relief to get through what many claim to be the hardest semester of all. I am so excited for our clinicals to start now and the real fun to begin. I just purchased my scrubs, shoes, and medical accessories and I cannot wait to use them! I honestly cannot believe how fast this first semester went. I'm going to be an RN in no time!

For some odd (and downright STUPID reason), the School of Nursing decided to alter their grading scale. Their rational was that if students needed to obtain a higher percentage than normal, that they would strive harder. But in all reality, I've seen just the opposite. Many students, and even myself, were actually deterred from really trying at the end. To receive an A, one needed to get between 93-100%, B: 84-92%, and C: 75-83%. I ended one class with a super high 80 and the other two with low 90's...so I ended up getting all B's. I went into my finals with this somewhat negative attitude because I felt that no matter how well I did, I could never get that A anyways. So I studied briefly and passed with enough points to keep my B's. And you know what....it was SO nice not to feel rushed or crammed. No wonder laid back people seem happier!

I honestly don't think it's a fair representation to alter the scale like this because I still felt that I performed A quality work. I am a bit disappointed on how this affects my GPA, but I realize that I can be bummed all I want and nothing is going to change it. I am proud to have done as well as I did and that I will be moving on to the next semester. There were many that were not as fortunate.

I am happy that we have figured out this juggle struggle for the most part. I couldn't do this without the support of my amazing husband! I think he may even be more excited for me than I am. Or maybe he just can't wait for me to be his sugar mama!

So now I'm on break for the next two weeks. (Well, as much of a break as one can get being a single mom while hubby is away.) Thankfully the sun is shining and the weather has been fantastic. I've been spring cleaning, relaxing, and enjoying this much needed time with my boys!

No comments: