Friday, July 23, 2010

Graduation Update

I survived my 3-day intensive organic chemistry lab and I actually got something out of it that I never would have expected…the idea to graduate with my Associates of Art! I was speaking with my lab partner and she was listing off all of the requirements for doing so, and what do ya know…I’m almost eligible! So I made an appointment to meet with an academic advisor and we came to the conclusion that I was short ONE credit. Are you kidding me? ONE STINKIN’ CREDIT! Ahh! (All due to the way my courses transferred over). So instead of graduating this December, I actually have to wait for the spring semester. Kind of a disappointment…but I think I'm okay with it. I never would have thought to check for my associates because I am enrolled under a pre-nursing major for the bachelor program, but I am so happy that I did! Makes me feel 100% more accomplished and I will soon be able to refer to myself as a college graduate!

The only discrepancy, however, is my nutrition course from American River College. After reviewing my Transfer Evaluation Worksheet, we realized that it transferred over as a departmental elective as opposed to the required course for my nursing program. I’m totally stressed and taking all measures I need to approach the matter, but I’m very scared that this is going to jeopardize my nursing application. (which is due Oct. 1st) I have an academic petition submitted to the registrar’s office and all I can do is wait for an answer. I submitted my original syllabus and the courses appear equivalent, but unfortunately that’s not my call to make. But even if they do accept my petition, I still need to fight to have it evaluated a second time in order to consider it a “200” level course. I e-mailed the director of the Dietetics and Nutrition department today with a copy of the syllabus, so fingers crossed he views the equivalency just as I do. If he does not approve my request then I will be forced to take another 200 level humanities course in the spring in order to fill my graduation requirement-which is a total waste of time and money. But regardless of what happens, I will be graduating with my associate's degree this spring! I am just very worried that this will cost me my chance to apply for the nursing program. I hate playing the waiting game, but at this point that is all I can do. Cross your fingers that everything works out!!

No comments: