Saturday, July 10, 2010

My roller coaster of a week...

To put it lightly…I’ve had a heck of a week. My emotions have been running wild and I really think that the stress of things has finally caught up with me.

To begin, I’ve been house sitting my cousin in-laws dog, Beezy. I honestly didn’t realize how much work it was going to be! The day Beezy was scheduled to arrive, we were notified that our backyard fence needed to be torn down for the bobcat driver to level out our lot. (This part is exciting!!) We’ve completed the first step to building our dream home and it was quite a surprise when the neighbor offered to do it alongside his yard…at no cost to us! Can we say good Karma?!So naturally, as soon as the fence was down and we had to add another dog to the mix, it rained. For some reason, this large dog refused to potty outside in the rain and insisted that my carpet was a wonderful place to do her business. Mind you, her poop piles are nearly as big as my dogs and I swear she urinates at least a half gallon of pee each time she goes! It was a pain walking three dogs outside to potty but I did so almost every hour to keep them from going inside. Did it work? Absolutely not. My dogs decided that they too needed to revert back to their puppy stages and go all over my carpet since some new dog was in their house doing the same. UGH!

Then, for the first time in my life, I failed a quiz. I know this may sound over dramatic, but I was genuinely devastated. I know that I hold ridiculously high standards for myself but it’s something that I truly need to do to push myself to greatness. I am the top student in all of my other classes and science comes naturally to me, but apparently Philosophy is just not my thing. This is by far the stupidest course I’ve ever taken and our quizzes barely reflect the examples we are asked to learn. But long story short, I’ve been really disappointed in myself and worrying that a bad grade could jeopardize my chances of getting into the nursing program early like I’ve been hoping. The moment that disaster happened I walked into the living room to find that 2 of the dogs had pooped in the house AGAIN! I totally lost it at that point and had a nervous breakdown full of sobbing tears. Now (for some strange reason) I am overly influenced by PMS. I have never really experienced this much at all in my life and I had no hormonal issues when I was pregnant either. Mood swings are very new to me…but I’ve definitely got them. It must be bad because hubby even commented on them.

At this point, my amazing son was the only thing that made me feel any better. He ran over to me and asked me nearly 100 times “Alright Mommy? Mommy cry? Mommy…alright?” I swooped him up and squeezed him tight and realized that his affection could cure anything. He hugged me and rubbed my face and I wondered how my son could be such an amazing comforter at such a young age. He really is the light of my life! (Hence the name Lucas…which means bringer of the light!)

Beezy had somehow wiggled out of her harness while I had her tied up, so again…another panic had set in. It was 9:30 at night and I immediately threw Lucas into the car…pj’s and all. Luckily for me she came running down the street right towards my yard. Phew! Levi was able to come back to town for a night and we built a temporary fence to keep in the dogs. They are now back to doing their business outside and besides all of Lucas’ toys being eaten, things are fairly back to normal in the doggie business. That is until Rori has her puppies here any day!!

Lucas has been pretty sick and cranky, so naturally my days have been very long. I crammed all week for my second chemistry exam (which I aced!) and I completed all my work that I needed to get done for school. Of course this had to be the busiest week of the semester on top of everything else going on at home. Lucky me.

We were so excited when Danny and Brittany Kehrer came to town! We went out for a delicious dinner and took them to some of the scenic spots here in town. It was a much needed night out! And this was only the second time that we had left Lucas with his babysitter (awake at least) so we were so delighted to hear that he was on his best behavior! She claimed that he is the best child that she has ever watched and that he was so sweet, smart, and well behaved. Music to a mother’s ears!! I have an intensive 3-day lab I have to attend next week in the valley and just mentioning this stresses me out. This will be the first time that I have EVER been away from my baby for an entire day. =( I know he is old enough to be away from me, but I hope I can handle being away from him. STRESSED I TELL YOU!

But the worst part of all, I think my OCD is on overload and I don’t know how to calm it down. I try my hardest to ignore my urges but lately I have been so overwhelmed by things being out of place and it literally makes me crumble. For instance, Levi has been insisting that we need a salt water fish tank. I was worried that we didn’t really have anywhere to put one, but let him buy one nonetheless. We were rearranging the living room and it stressed me out so bad that I started crying yet again. Levi laughed because he thinks it’s funny and not a big deal, but it REALLY bothers me. I am so easily overwhelmed when things don’t mesh and it’s really difficult to find a happy medium. He asked me to keep the living room the way it is for a few days to see if it grows on me, but this is one of the hardest things for me to do. I keep walking by and I realize that I like where we moved the couch…but the recliner is ruining it all! Haha. I think I can laugh about it now but it really is a bigger deal to me than it should be. But I’m trying to look at the positive notes and since we moved all of Lucas’ toys into his room, our living room actually appears quite a bit larger than before! And poor poor Lucas. What have I done to my child?! I don’t know if he’s picked up on my tendencies or if OCD is genetic, but he is JUST like me. He organizes everything (including his toys) and gets flustered also when things are messy. On more than one occasion I’ve seen him jump off the couch, run and pick up an out of place toy, put it in the correct bin, and jump back onto the couch. OH NO! And just yesterday while in the kitchen he yelled, “oh no, messy! Mama..towel.” So I handed him a towel and he wiped up the tiny spill of jelly on the floor. He always wipes down his area after eating (including in restaurants!) and insists on putting his toys away before we walk out of the house. And a few months ago when I took him to the children’s museum he went and cleaned up all of the other children’s messes rather than making one of his own. He’s always yelling clean up ebrybody.” I don’t know what bothers me more- the fact that my OCD is on hyper drive or that my son has been cursed with this too….

With the week finally to an end I can happily say that I’m back to my normal self. I’m blaming this entire week on PMS and I am so thankful that it is over. Looking back I realize a lot of fun that came out of this week (including our fun ice skating adventure), but I think that the roller coaster of good, bad, good, bad, and so on, just made it difficult to process. My husband is home, even if it's only for a day, so fingers crossed for a great Sunday!

No comments: