Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Puppies!!


Rori had her puppies right on schedule and I must say that they are the cutest and tiniest little things I have ever seen! She was in labor almost all of Sunday afternoon and evening so I prep'd a few different beds for her. I wanted for her to find a spot to have them where she was most comfortable, but naturally she had other plans. I attempted to go to bed about 10, but her behavior kept me awake and anxious for the delivery. Poor thing was panting like it was the end of the world and she was running around digging/nesting everywhere she could find. She was doing really well lying in one of the beds in my room while I laid next to her but she immediately jumped up- darted under the bed- and popped out the first pup! Go figure.

She did amazing and didn't even cry like I had expected her to. I read that the first pup of the very first liter is usually really difficult and scary for them, but she did amazing. After she cleaned it up I moved it to the bed and she followed. She had her second pup 40 minutes later and this one really worried me. She seemed more concerned with cleaning up herself than the baby and its breathing was very labored. I kept persuading her to lick her puppy (because that is what helps to stimulate the breathing and the bonding)but she was very inconsistent. Levi and I both rubbed its body and helped increase Rori's attention to it. The final pup came at 3:30 in the morning and it was another simple and safe delivery. All of the puppies are doing wonderful and mama is attached to them like no other. I couldn't even get her to come out of the room to eat, drink, or potty for 17 whole hours. I guess that's a perfect example of motherly love!

The final count came to three puppies...the first two born were females and the final a male. They are so tiny that I can cover all three of them up with a single hand! Lucas' initial reaction to them was priceless. We've been telling him for a few days that Rori had baby puppies in her belly but when he saw them for the first time he looked over at me with a very confused expression and asks "baby cows?" HAHA! I suppose their black and white coloring does make them look a little like baby cows. Leave it to Lucas to make the most off the wall and unexpected comment. Makes me curious what he'll say whenever the time comes for him to be a big brother!

This was such a fun experience and I am so glad that I was there to witness the birth of all three of these precious little companions. It definitely reassures my decision to work in Labor and Delivery. Babies or puppies...its still a beautiful thing!♥

No comments: