Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Back to blogging!

My sister brought it to my attention that I haven't posted a single entry in the year 2013. I knew I was slacking, but I didn't realize just how much. So here I am...back into my blogging!

2013 has been a busy and very chaotic year for us. The boys are getting bigger and we are quickly outgrowing our home. For that reason, we are on the hunt for a second house! We decided to buy a foreclosure/fixer-upper that we can work on while renting out our current place. There has been a great deal of discussion lately about us relocating and heading back down to the lower 48. We realize that a lot has changed since we left California nearly 5.5 yrs ago, but we can't shake this lonely feeling here. Whether we return to Cali or find somewhere new, we're giving ourselves a 2-3 year plan.

By fixing up a home and re-selling it in a year or so (along with our existing property), we feel confident that we'd be leaving with a good investment on our hands. And it's only a matter of time before I land a good nursing job. Levi's already joking that I get to be his sugar mama.

The house hunt has been beyond frustrating and not at all what I expected. Heck, I thought buying a house would be fun. But buying a foreclosure has proven to be much harder that we thought. There are a lot of investors out there right now that keep swooping in, offering cash, and stealing all the good ones. And who's going to say no to cash? I don't blame them one bit.

We had one home that we were absolutely in love with and we even offered above the asking price. We let ourselves get too invested and shopped around and designed all the repair work. Apparently it just wasn't meant to be, so the hunt continued. We just placed an offer in on our second choice and it seems very promising. The current owners are going through a divorce and the wife has left state. The husband has accepted our offer and now we are just waiting on the wife to sign papers on her end. I'm still a bit heartbroken over the first house and the excitement of this one hasn't really kicked in, but I do see great potential in this one. We are beyond ready for a nice big house with a matching big lot! Lucas spotted the giant two story tree house in the back and that's all the convincing it took to get him on board!

So we should hear a confirmation by the end of the week. And I have all of my Pinterest boards full of repair and decor ideas. I know this is going to be a lot of work, but I'm excited to fix up a house with my hubby. What's the point of being married to a Contractor if we can't take advantage of it?! Sounds like a new hobby brewing :)

Expect lots of new posts this week! I sure have missed writing.

No comments: