Friday, June 10, 2011

The power of support

Yesterday was a very big day in the realm of baby preparation. No, we didn't work on the nursery or buy items still in need. But I successfully got two ladies on board for the big adventures we are about to take!

The Southcentral Foundation offered in-home nurse visits for Lucas each month for the first year of his life. Nurse Rachael was a pleasure to work with and such a comfort to a new mother such as myself. I contacted her yesterday to inform her we are just a few months away from having another little one and she was beyond thrilled! She works with such a large number of families and it felt wonderful that she remembered us so well. She said she could never forget Lucas...he never failed to impressed her! He was always doing activities and talking sooner than he should have and she truly looked forward to seeing us each month. I am so excited that she wants to be a part of our lives again and offer the support and guidance to our family that we appreciated so much. It is a true blessing to have a service dedicated to the health and well being of your baby. Having someone involved to help diminish your fears, answer any questions, and praise your accomplishments as a parent is a service that every family should have. I'm grateful that my boys are native and receive such a fantastic service at no cost to us.

My midwife came by yesterday for an in-home prenatal visit and everything is going great! I've now been bumped up to bi-weekly appointment because my due date is fast approaching. She even offered to just come to me for the remainder of my pregnancy, which is great! The main midwife that we have have been working with to date is not going to be able to attend our birth. We were really saddened by this news because our family really grew to like her, including Lucas. The head midwife has been on vacation for some time, but she finally returned and was the one who visited us yesterday. She was the one that we conducted our initial interview with and I honestly forget how much we liked her! She was on the floor playing with Lucas and made herself comfortable in my home. She's super nice, knowledgeable, and experienced. (She has been delivering babies for 20+ years.) I'm really excited that we are going to have her at our birth! We were discussing who she was going to bring along with her and she mentioned that she may try to get an apprentice midwife from the valley to assist. I was immediately thrilled to find out it is the herbalist who I've attended a class with and even purchased products from. She is also the one who will be doing our placenta encapsulation, and she is a Doula as well! I contacted her yesterday and invited her to attend if she was available during my due date and she said that she was absolutely honored! I really like both of these women and I think that their combined presence is going to be a perfect mix for the birth experience we hope to have!

So all in all, I got great news from two ladies in one day! I'm very pleased how everything is coming together and very happy with the ladies who will be with us to welcome our baby into this world, and to follow his development for the first year of his life. Support is a power concept. It means a great deal to me to have such wonderful people by my side as we take the journey to parenthood once again.

No comments: