Thursday, June 16, 2011

Staying Home

I read a statistic today that really got to me. Did you know that 50% of children under the age of 3 are cared for by adults other than their parents? Maybe it's just me, but I could not live with myself if I let someone else fill the mommy role in their lives. In fact, I do daycare for that exact reason. I have no problems watching other children, but there's just no way you'll convince me to let anyone else watch mine.

I take my role as a mother very seriously and see it as my duty to love, nurture, educate, and provide experiences for my boys. I don't believe that anyone can care for them in any comparable manner. Realizing that my son will soon be going into preschool both excites and worries me. He is only going to be enrolled into the part time class that meets two days a week from 9-12ish, but even this thought gives me anxiety. I know this is a service he will benefit greatly from and I am so happy that I have not had to give up any mommy time until now.

I am so blessed and fortunate to be a stay-at-home-mother and I never take that realization for granted. I know there are many women who have to work and I applaud them for taking an active roll in the financial stability of their family. I often wonder how things would be if the tables were reversed. I like to think that I would rather live in poverty than be away from my children...but I know that's not a reality. Would I really give up spending the day with them unless I absolutely had too?

Even on a day like day, where my patience has been repeatedly tested, I am thankful to be right where I am...at home!

And even though this picture is a blurry mess, I absolute love it! I could kiss this boy ALL. DAY. LONG.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

You're amazing Crystal. I'm a stay at home mom as well, and while most of the time I am happy to have that role. There are so many benefits to it, there are times I would rather be at work just because I would be making money and be able to have breaks during the day. But I always feel so guilty for thinking that way.But you, you never falter. I admire you greatly.