Saturday, November 13, 2010

Recycled Baby Bibs

I was asked to create a Junk to Funk project for one of my classes, which entailed taking everyday items and recycling them into something functional. As a mother, and a full time daycare provider, it was only natural that I find something that could be used for the children. I'm sure almost everyone out there has an insanely large pile of plastic grocery bags, so here's an idea for you!

I learned from Homemade Mamas that plastic bags can be fused together with just a little heat from an iron. AMAZING! But be careful to open up windows and/or doors when doing so because plastic givens off toxins when heated.

Here's all you need to get started:

3-4 plastic bags, parchment paper, and an iron.


Next, cut off the bottom seams and the handles. Layer the bags together and sandwich them between two pieces of parchment paper.


You will be amazed at the outcome!


Trace and cut out a bib that fits your child.


Add a little bit of Velcro if you wish and let your child eat!


This project was fun and easy, and it really inspired me to recycle more. I feel like I do a great job at conserving energy and consuming only what we need, but there is always so much more that I can do. I am making a pledge to create more of my own materials from here on out! Although these bibs cannot be thrown into the washing machine, they can easily be wiped down. They are practically free to make and no one has to worry if they get lost or damaged. Anyone with children knows that they are messy little creatures, but a bib saves clothing from being spilled on, which ultimately creates less laundry. And what do you know…less laundry equals less water and energy consumption! I loved this project and only wish that I had discovered the idea sooner!

2 comments:

Nancy said...

That's a great idea! Did it smell when you were melting the plastic though?

Crystal said...

Yeah- it smelled prety bad. But I opened the door and let in all the fresh cool air!