Saturday, November 27, 2010

A Love of Reading

Now that Thanksgiving has come and gone it seems that everyone has one thing on their minds: Christmas! I was rattling my brain trying to think of gift ideas for this year and when I remembered Lucas' Santa gift last year, it made me smile! I hunted down an adorable book shelf for him because his favorite pastime at 13 months old was to read. I am so happy to say that this gift is still in good use and is actually overflowing with books! It's very common for children to go through phases, but fast forward a year, and I'm thrilled to see that story time is still a favorite around here!

At the moment, Lucas' favorite books consist of:









His love for reading amazes me every day, as does his level of comprehension. I love reading a story to him for the first time and then listening to him attempt to read it back to me. He is so attentive and involved, and finds so much joy in a simple story!

About six months ago, we signed up for the Dolly Parton's Imagination Library, which is a program that promoted early literacy for children. Dolly started this program in her home town and it has since expanded throughout the U.S. and Canada. Children receive an age appropriate book each month for FREE until they turn 5! It is a wonderful program and Lucas loves receiving new books in the mail each month. I highly recommend this program to anyone with children!

I also went to the sale at the Library a few weeks back and got us an entire bag full of children's books for just a little over $10! I absolutely love a good deal...and Lucas has been in story heaven ever since!

No comments: