Saturday, January 22, 2011

Morning Sickness Relief

The dreaded morning sickness...why oh why have you cursed me so?

I have many friends with children and I honestly feel like one of the few women who are just completely run down during the 1st trimester. Yes, it's natural to be overly tired and sensitive to smells, but I have a difficult time keeping anything in my poor tummy. Hyperemesis Gravidarum is the severest form of morning sickness in which vomiting ultimately prevents a woman from eating or drinking throughout the day. I was nearly hospitalized with Lucas because of severe dehydration, and unfortunately, I had almost reached this point again. A week ago I was only urinating once a day and would wake up so dehydrated that my lips had chapped open and were covered in dried blood. I was prescribed medication last time around that literally knocked me out. Sleeping all day is not an option for me, so I have been searching for natural methods of relief.

I have tried everything recommended for nausea. And when I say everything, I mean everything. I have a few products that I have been using on a daily basis, and thankfully I am finding a little bit of comfort. I don't think that any one of these products work well enough for me on their own, but when combined together, I seem to be able to function. Somewhat.

Lemon Ginger Tea:
I have never been a big tea drinker before now, but the soothing aroma of lemon and ginger have really seemed to make a large difference in my nausea. This has been the greatest product I have found to date! Since a friend made me a cup recently, I have become an addict! And my vomiting has decreased a good 80%!

Sea Bands:
These drug free acupressure bands can be worn at all times and are used for travel sickness. At this point I'm not sure if they are even helping...but I'm afraid to take them off. I've read sworn testimonies that they work, and others in which they claim to present a placebo effect. Nevertheless, they're staying on.

Preggie Pop Drops:
It is said that sour flavors can help to alleviate nausea, so these drug free drops are always on hand. I'm not a fan of sour flavors to begin with, but desperate times call for desperate measures. I ate them frequently when I was pregnant with Lucas, but I was still sick as a dog then.

B-natal:
Doctors have been prescribing B6 vitamin supplements to pregnant women for decades. Do I feel like they really help? No. But the act of sucking on a lollipop helps my body to think it's eating...which is when I feel at my best.

Anti-Nausea Spritz:
And finally, I recently joined a group with some fellow mama friends called AK Mom Approved. Free product samples are given in which we test out and write reviews on. I got a nice little Pregnancy Support Pack from Al.Di.La. The pack includes a stretch mark blend, anti-nausea spritz, back ache blend, swollen feet blend, floral water of Melissa and Roman Chamomile, and essentials oil blends intended for the use in the 2nd and 3rd trimester. The only thing I have been able to test out so far has been the anti-nausea spritz. It contains the hydrosols of Ginger, Melissa, Neroli, Rose and other essential oils to help alleviate nausea. I honestly can't tell if it's helping my nausea symptoms per say, but the cool mist and fragrance that fill the air when you spritz your face is very relaxing. I'm looking forward to trying out all of these natural products in the months to come!

Although I have not been quite as sick as I was the last time around, it has been very difficult to function. I am absolutely overwhelmed with school at the moment and caring for kiddos all day long doesn't make it any easier. Sleep has been a difficult thing to come by lately, and that really does make it worse. I started feeling like my old happy self once I reached 14 weeks with Lucas, so I am praying that will be the case this time around as well. I've made it this far...what are a few more weeks?

It saddens me that the beautiful process of creating life can ultimately make you feel like death. I do not wish these symptoms on anyone, but I hope that my review offers help to anyone looking for natural ways to beat the dreaded morning sickness curse.

No comments: