Monday, January 31, 2011

Overachiever?

Me? An overachiever? Um...guilty as charged.

I graduated high school with over a 4.0 and as an honorary member of the Health Careers Academy. I could have gone to any college of my choosing, but decided to stay close to home and save money at a local community college. It wasn't long after attending ARC that I was recognized in the Who's Who Among American College Students publication, placed onto the National Dean's List, and given another opportunity to be a US Student Ambassador (which I sadly had to decline once again).

I am now in my third semester at UAA and doing very well! I was nominated for the Golden Key International Honor Society a few months back and just received a letter this week that I have been placed onto the Chancellor's List for maintaining a 4.0 while enrolled in 12 or more units. And best of all, I was just asked to join a pre-nursing program in Australia this summer through the International Scholar Laureate Program. It's a wonderful career-focused study in Melbourne and Sydney that introduces students to nurses roles in the Australian health care system. For being a Golden Key member I am eligible for a wonderful scholarship and I could easily experience this very exclusive program. I would love love love to go...but traveling out of country just before I'm due to give birth isn't the smartest idea. Nor could I imagine leaving Lucas for a few week. It was an honor to be nominated, but it's not something I can do at this point in my life.

I have been given so many opportunities because of my excellent academic performance, but have surprisingly enough chose mother hood as my top priority. School has always been something I needed to excel at, but my priorities have now shifted. Don't get me wrong- I'm still working for that 4.0, but the drive I felt once before is now gone.

With Levi gone for nearly a week I was so overwhelmed with my work load. Any time I tried to get work done Lucas would tell me to put the computer down and read him a story. It broke my heart. I don't want him to remember me glued to my books, but I also want to finish school now while he is young. I feel so torn and pulled in various directions at the same time.

I spent quite a few hours on Saturday and nearly all day on Sunday trying to catch up with the work I couldn't manage to finish during the week. Being pregnant is HARD work! However, I am very proud of myself. Instead of pushing to do work while Lucas napped, half the time I joined him. As much as I want to believe I'm a super mom and can handle whatever is thrown before me, I have to listen to my bodily ques.

I got my weekly baby newsletter a few days ago and it really opened my eyes. I have a new quote to remember:
"Pregnancy fatigue is normal, especially at this stage. That's because you're running a baby-making factory that's in business 24/7, causing your pregnant body to work harder at rest than your non pregnant body did on the run."
So putting my body and my baby first, I have been trying my best to relax and not stress the small stuff. My school work took much longer to complete than I hoped, but I got it done and that's all that matters. I worked little by little and took breaks when I needed. My life has always been hectic and on the go, but I am quickly learning the importance of down time. Listening to my body is now my top priority. It's okay to do the bare minimum once in a while...or so they say!

2 comments:

Sara and Michael said...

So exciting, Crystal! You are amazing and I'm sure Lucas will be so proud of you once he realizes what a smart smart mama he has! :) Congrats on all of the honors! It is truly amazing how motherhood can change everything in your life!

Jennifer said...

YOur awesome Crystal. Such an inspiration to us all!