Thursday, February 17, 2011

Goodbye, 1st trimester!

I've made it! Well, to the second trimester that is :)

Thanks to the lovely placenta that I've created, my baby is now being provided with oxygen, nutrients, and a nice waste disposal system. But best yet, my morning sickness in almost a thing of the past as the hormone levels in my body have finally steadied themselves out! (Big yay!)

Baby is approximately the size of a peach and very much human like in appearance at this point. No more little alien looking creature with a tail! The pancreas has begun secreting insulin and the liver has begun secreting bile. The tiny little kidneys are even practicing their work too! Yep, there's now fetal urine mixing in with the amniotic fluid. Must be tasty, huh? All of babies little teeth have formed and are waiting under the gums to make an appearance some time after birth. (Oh, the dreaded teething...*sigh*) Although my little one only weighs somewhere between 13 and 20 grams, and is only about 3 inches long...it is going to start growing at a rapid 1 inch per week! The vital systems are all fully developed and now the main focus goes into getting this baby bigger. Grow, baby, grow!


I came across this picture recently and was so drawn to it! These are the actual sizes of a fetus from 7-12 weeks...crazy to think my little one is just a tad larger than the biggest one in the photo! And even funnier that I have this big 'ol belly when my baby can fit into the palm of my hand! Although babies heads account for nearly half of their body length at this point, it will decrease to only 1/4 of the body length by birth. Let just pretend that they are all geniuses with gigantic brains :)

The second trimester is the time when most moms feel their best and energy levels return. With that being said, I am definitely gearing up for Hawaii! Besides, if I need a nap, what better place than on the beach under the warm sun while listening to the natural sounds of the ocean?!

17 days and counting!

1 comment:

Chelsea Miller said...

crystal! this is so interesting. You are ahead of Jenn in the pregnancy, but its so cool to kind of see whats going on/growing with both of you!

I love you andddddd HAWAII!!!!!! see you soon. and We should Skype asap!