Thursday, April 21, 2011

Big Brother Cues


I am convinced now, more than ever, that Lucas is going to be a FANTASTIC big brother. I would be lying if I claimed not to talk about the new baby on occasion, but lately it has been all Lucas! He brings him up into so many of our conversations and loves to talk about him every day.

Here are my five favorite brother situations/comments from this week:

1. I was sitting on the couch minding my own business when Lucas came over and lifted up my shirt. He wrapped my stomach up with his blankie (which, believe me, he doesn't like to share with anybody). He told me that we needed to keep the baby warm and that he wanted to share his favorite blankie with him. Aww!

2. I spent a morning filing papers and starting to organize/clean up our office. I'm having a hard time with the idea of parting with my office, but I know baby needs his own room! Lucas came in and asked what I was doing and when I explained that we were going to turn the office into the baby's new bedroom, he declined. He insisted that the baby needed to sleep in his room with him! He was very adamant and ordered that I stop cleaning.

3. Levi and I were watching a movie one evening while Lucas was in his room playing quietly. He ran out holding a baby rattle that he found buried in one of his bins and excitedly yelled, "I want to give this to the baby!"

4. After making Lucas dinner a few nights ago I asked him to sit down at his little table. He always sits in the same seat, but this time decided to change it up a bit. He told me that he wanted to sit in a different seat, mommy had to sit in his seat, and that the other seat was for ______! This was the first time he had ever called his baby brother by name without being prompted and my heart nearly melted! (I don't know if Levi wants to announce the name just yet...but stay tuned!)

5. And finally, I was able to record the sweetest little voice memos in the world! I love to sneak out the phone and record him without his knowing because he doesn't get all shy and quiet like he does with videos. Lucas was laying on my belly again, of his entirely own doing, and started calling out to the baby. (The second memo is him admitting that he drooled on my stomach). The conversations went like so:

Memo #1: "______, come out! ______! I hear him! I hear him! I hear him in there. I hear him in there! Oh, you wanna play kung-fu?" (He's been watching too many Bruce Lee videos with dad if you couldn't tell!)

Memo #2: L: "Are you here ______? Ohhhh. What happened? I spit on him. I spit on my baby brother! (I laugh) I spit on him!"
Me: "You spit on him?"
L: "Yeah! I saw that."
Me: "Tell him sorry."
L:"Sorry. Hey...he's not waking up."
Me: "He's sleeping."
L: "Yeah. Come on mom."

I can't figure out how to get them into an uploadable form for a blog, but if anyone would like to hear them...just let me know! I can e-mail them to you or text them if you have an iPhone. Believe me, they'll make your day!

I can already tell that he is going to be very lovable and extremely protective over his baby brother. Only 18 more weeks to go!

4 comments:

Nancy said...

I wanna hear em! He sounds so excited and cute!!

Ashley Gray said...

These made me cry! So adorable. And upload them on vimeo... you can email them to yourself then upload then on that site. Then grab the html & put it in the body of the post. If you need more explanation email me!

Chelsea Miller said...

my heart has melted! and I like that your not giving out the name yet, im excited!

Amanda Coen said...

i want to hear them!! this is so sweet! moomoo4sale@Hotmail.com