Tuesday, April 19, 2011

What they DON'T tell you

I'm sure I've made it known on a million different occasions...I just love being pregnant! There is nothing more beautiful or rewarding than creating and nurturing a new life. I love my growing belly (and cup size!) and I especially love feeling my son move around. I'm remind each day how blessed I am to carry another child!

BUT...I'm in pain. Everybody loves a belly and the entire concept of pregnancy, but you don't really know what you're getting yourself into until you physically experience it. It isn't all sunshine and rainbows, I can promise you that. Most people think of morning sickness and swollen feet but let me tell ya, that's not all! I suffered from a number of unpleasanties with Lucas, but I knew that it was all worth it in the long hall.

This time around has been pretty uncomfortable to say the least. The second trimester is known as the honeymoon phase of pregnancy because morning sickness is no more and belly size isn't too significant. I am eating wonderfully and happy to be active again, but there are three main areas that just don't seem to be going my way:

1. Heartburn. Oh. My. Goodness. I don't remember it being so severe last time but I am now dependent on tums. Eating seems to make it so much worse, but going hungry is obviously not an option. My therapy? Ice cream! Every night has ended with a yummy serving of ice cream...which just gives me that extra calcium boost(or so I'm going to claim!)

2. Incontinence. This may sound like a laughing matter, and although it is for Levi, it's not! If I sneeze, cough, laugh too hard, or stand up too fast....I often pee my pants. This happened a small number of times with Lucas when I was in my third trimester, but now its a fairly common occurrence. Apparently I need to work on those kegels!

3. My aching back!! I had to get a back support brace during my third trimester before because the distribution of weight gain proved to be a bit more than my spine could handle. Unfortunately, this baby is no exception. He only weighs 1lb at this point but I am already having difficulties sleeping and getting through the day without needing a good rub down. Last night I threw my back out and was paralyzed with pain. I have never experienced anything like that before and it was nearly 15 minutes before I could stand again. I tried to push through the pain and resume a standing position, but my back just physically wouldn't budge. I guess its time to start seeing a chiropractor again! Lucas weighed 8.5lbs at birth and if this one is anything close to that...I'm in for a rough couple of months.
I will only be 22 weeks tomorrow and realize that I still have quite a bit of time before baby makes his debut. I'm trying to take it easy and go for walks when I can. I say a good massage needs to be in my very, very near future!

1 comment:

Chelsea Miller said...

i love you crystal. lol