Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Taxidermy

Last night Levi turned on the History channel, as he often does, and we watched an episode of Pawn Stars. For some reason we both really like this show and just laugh at how stingy the offers are. As soon as it was over and we were about to head to bed...a new show came on. Mounted in Alaska. I'd never heard of this show but the huge nerd in me came out when I realized that it's filmed right here in Anchorage! Knight's Taxidermy is literally only 12 minutes from my house (and yes, I iPhone mapped that). I was so amused and couldn't stop thinking to myself "ooh, I drive down that road!" Anyways, for the first time I actually saw the process and the artistic requirements that go into mounting an animal.

When we first moved to Alaska we went to a Sportsman show to browse around. As you can imagine, it was quite a different life to be exposed to. I had a really hard time justifying why on earth someone would kill an innocent animal just to hang as a trophy on the wall. To be honest, I cried when we passed the table advertising trips to Africa where you got to pick which animal you wanted to hunt from a brochure. I was heartbroken that such beautiful creatures were being slaughtered just for the heck of it.

Now that I've lived here for nearly four years, I guess you could say I'm pretty used to all the animal heads. Many stores and even some of the restaurants here proudly display Alaskan wildlife for the public. I am fairly immune to big moose, bear, sheep, wolves, etc. but I still have a hard time when I see something more exotic. It was really interesting to see the level of care that must go into creating a mount and the efforts the craftsmen take to ensure it looks as realistic as possible. I was genuinely impressed and really do see their skill as an artistic ability.

Now, the true reason for this post. Levi has been joking for years that he wants to mount our dog, Ace, after he passes. I always laughed and brushed this off as a mere joke...but now I realize he is actually serious! Is it just me or does this just sound completely bizarre and down right weird?? I think I could handle a mount in my home if I had to (although I still probably wouldn't really want to), but my own pet? Oh goodness, NO!

He has it all planned out. He wants him mounted with a vicious snarl and represented as if he's attacking a fox. What the heck?? I don't think I can let my sweet old Ace get turned into a scary attack mold attended to decorate up the fireplace. No way. Just look how sweet and innocent he is...

So, I laid it all down on the line last night. I looked Ace right in the eyes and told him that he is absolutely forbidden to pass away on us. He is nearly 8 years old and I worry that he'll leave us well before I am ready. I guess in all reality, you're never ready. But I definitely am not prepared to go rounds with my crazy husband on this matter. Oh lordy.

1 comment:

Christopher said...

hahah christopher says the same thing about scout! im like no waaaY!!!!