Monday, September 26, 2011

Mommy Confessions

"Mother's of little boys work from son up 'til son down" -Unknown
Now ain't that the truth! I came across this quote recently and chuckled because it explains my life...as fun, chaotic, and exhausting as it may be.

When I had my first son it took a while before I left the house for outings. I lounged around in my pj's all day nursing and napping. This time around, that wasn't an option. Not only do I have a very active two year old, but I now know the importance of maintaining a social life - both for me and the boys. Interacting with other adults keeps me sane and giving Lucas play dates, along with his preschool interactions, helps in more ways than one.

Juggling two hasn't necessarily been hard, but it has required me to prioritize a great deal. The first few weeks I found myself trying to do chores rather than eating, and catching up on shows/internet sites rather than activities with Lucas. It's difficult trying to fit everything in when you have limited time to yourself to do them. But I think we've found our groove and are functioning just fine. Restructuring my days to get the most out of them can be a challenge, but really only required a little less emphasis on me. If you're a mom, you totally get where I am coming from.

So here are my confessions:

*I haven't showered in days
*My legs haven't been shaved since before Levin was born
*My eyebrows are starting to look like a bushy creature living on my face
*I skim on meals for myself just to ensure the boys are fed
*I have fallen further behind on laundry than ever before
*I've worn milk/puke stained clothes out in public. Many times.
*I only bathe my kids when they need it...which definitely isn't every day
*I nearly killed my beta fish from lack of remembering to feed him.
*I have forgotten to pay a bill on time - that NEVER happens
*My to-do list has continued to grow
*I left my wallet at the checkout counter of the store
*The inside of my car had even my husband making comments about it

At the end of the day my boys are fed, happy and content and that it all that truly matters. If I have to skip out on certain activities for myself and around the house...then so be it. Before I know it they will be grown up and not require any of my time. Then I'll regret not spending as much of it with them as I possibly could.

1 comment:

Jacquie said...

I love reading your blog. It's the first thing I check after my e mails every morning :) Keep em' comin
xoxo