Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Placenta

Many people know what a placenta is, but they don't really know about its wonderful benefits and all that it has to offer for a new mom. Yes, the placenta is an organ necessary for growing a baby. We know it produces hormones to support a pregnancy and filters wastes out of the baby's bloodstream. But there is so much more to it than that!

During my recent birth I told you that we delayed the cutting of the cord. The baby's blood continues to circulate in the placenta and by waiting to cut it, you give baby a chance to collect extra oxygen from the mothers blood to help ease their new job of breathing air. By waiting until the cord is no longer pulsating, baby not only reincorporates his own blood, it also helps to regulate breathing and heart rates, body temperature, reduces the risk of jaundice and contributes to an easier time breastfeeding.

Some people bury their placentas and plant a tree over it in honor of their child. Some chose to do interesting art prints to display the true beauty of such an organ. It has been nicknamed "The Tree of Life" because the pattern seen by the blood vessels really does look like a tree! To see Levin's life support up close and personal was amazing and absolutely priceless. But I personally didn't do either of the above things. Instead...I consumed it.

Now I know what you're thinking - this chick is crazy! A few years ago I would have completely agreed with you. But the more that I researched and learned, it is a wonder why more women don't do the same.

The placenta is packed with vitamins and minerals, especially iron. Childbirth often leaves women depleted in their iron stores and it is crucial for them to receive some back, especially in cases of hemorrhaging. The benefits of a mother consuming her placenta have been around for some time and are widely seen in traditional Chinese medicine. Every mammal consumes their placentas after giving birth. Did you ever wonder why? It is mother natures perfect gift given to women when they need it most.

According to traditional Chinese medicine, the placenta helps battle fatigue, replenishes your iron, helps the uterus shrink back down to size, strengthens your kidneys, helps to balance hormones, and aids in bringing in an abundant milk supply. All that from a simple organ? You bet!

It takes roughly two weeks for your brain to get the signal that you have delivered, and that it is now time to regulate hormones and their levels. Nearly 80% of women experience what they call the 'baby blues' because of this. The first few weeks in the postpartum period are emotional, there's no doubt about that.

The placenta has been in symbiotic relationship with your baby for 9 whole months as it's life support. Just because you've birthed your baby, and your placenta, it doesn't mean that it's done doing its intended job. It's hard to believe that such an amazing organ would be of no further use to a mom when times are often the toughest.

The healing and nourishing properties of the placenta are undeniable. Encapsulating your placenta is a simple and effective way to return all of those lost nutrients back into your body. It is dried, powdered, and then placed into capsules...it's that simple! I had mine done by a local herbalist (who was also meant to attend my birth...oops!) but you can easily do this process on your own.

I could never fathom actually eating it. Baked/fried/Bbq'd placenta? Um, no thanks! But encapsulating it allows for it to be taken discretely for weeks into the postpartum period. The pills do have a bit of an unpleasant smell, but all you have to do is swallow them down with a big 'ol glass of liquid of your choosing.

I was very emotional after my first birth and cried at the drop of a dime. For me, it was more of pure love and joy, but still emotional nonetheless. Every time I looked at my baby I would become so overwhelmed with happiness that I couldn't contain it. Although that may sound like a great thing, it made me feel like a mad woman!

I have now been taking my placenta pills for a month (minus a little here and there) and I feel great! I can totally see why some women refer to these as their 'happy pills'. I had to stop taking them briefly when I started getting mastitis and let me tell you, I could totally see a difference. That whole week I was sobby and emotional and down right exhausted. After starting them up again, I felt rejuvenated and happy. Caring for a newborn is a lot of work and quite the demand on your body (both physically and emotionally). I couldn't imagine struggling with postpartum depression at the same time, but I know that is very common for a lot of new moms. Consuming your placenta can help. It truly can. By ingesting all of your nutrients and hormones back into your body, you don't have to deal with the sudden drop off that causes so many of these issues.

I was sold on the benefits before actually doing this, now I can't imagine the postpartum period any other way. I honestly think that these pills are what made the transition from having one to two children easier. Taking care of yourself first is crucial. I think everyone owes it to themselves to be in a happy state so that they can truly mother the way that they imagined they could. The baby blues do roll around for most women. Thankfully there's a safe, natural, and easy way to rid them away!

I will most definitely be informing all of my doula clients about placenta encapsulation!

2 comments:

Jacquie said...

Okay, I definitely thought you ate it and I freaked out. Even though I could never do half the things you do, I think it's great that you are doing what you feel you need to for your body. And you are so informed about everything and know exactly what you are talking about. Right on.
xoxo

Jennifer said...

I wish I could do this. I've read so much about the benefits, I just have absolutely no way to afford it lol.