Monday, September 12, 2011

Postpartum

Postpartum is such an important period, and it is one that is often overlooked. Having a new baby is exhausting on your body and the hormonal drop off that you experience can make for difficult times. Having a strong support system is crucial and accepting that things may just have to wait (dishes, laundry, cooking, etc) is key. Focus really needs to go on you and your baby, and nothing else.

Tomorrow marks three weeks since I've given birth. As uncomfortable as I may have gotten during my pregnancy, being postpartum trumps it all. Not only are you tired, emotional, and unable to really move about, but your body is in a constant state of change. Most of this change, for me however, was quite painful.

I was told that the afterbirth pains intensify with each pregnancy and oh.my.goodness were they right. They first week being postpartum was so much more painful that I expected. Nipple stimulation causes your uterus to contract (which is exactly what you need to get it back down to its original size) so each time baby would latch on I was in instant agony. I was nearly brought to tears on multiple occasions from the uterine cramping but I had to just push through it. Standing up was difficult, and I was on strict orders only to get up to use the restroom. I knew if I overdid it because the cramping and bleeding would intensify greatly and I would feel completely wiped out. Your body sure has no problems telling you to take it easy.

If you know me, you know that I love to promote breastfeeding. Not only is it the best thing you can do for your baby, but it is a wonderful bonding experience for both. I love knowing that my son depends strictly on me for his warmth and nourishment. I grew him in my womb, and I now continue to do so with him in my arms!

But...nursing is not easy. In fact, it can be downright painful until you and baby both get the hang of it. Once my milk came in my breasts were so engorged and sensitive that merely thinking about them made them hurt. My nipples dried out, cracked, and bled, and each time baby latched on I would cringe. Thankfully it only took about 2 weeks for them to get better, but I can truly see why some women give up at this point. You really have to have a strong mindset and remember that you are doing not only what is best for your baby, but for you too.

Shortly after my nipple situation was fixed, I started having a lot of pain in my left breast. It continued to get warmer and warmer throughout the day and also started getting a large red patch in one area. I knew exactly what this was...mastitis! Ahh! When I had it with Lucas I honestly thought I was dying. Childbirth is nothing compared to mastitis. NOTHING! Because it's an infection, your entire body is affected. I remember laying on the bathroom floor in the fetal position the first time around and Levi had to physically carry me to the car. This time, I started getting weak and I was in so much pain that I began dreading nursing him on my left side. The best way to recover is to continue nursing and to pump any excess milk so that you completely drain it. Hot/cold compress can be used, and if it gets bad enough, antibiotics are prescribed. Having had it before I think I was a little more in tune with my body and caught it nice and early. I was told that you can do Castor Oil massages, and I was shocked when it actually worked! I cured it on my own, naturally, in just over 24 hours. Whew...crisis averted. But I know that once you have it you are prone to catching it again, so I am definitely extra cautious.

I had to alter the way we were nursing a bit and try to offer feedings more frequently. It sure didn't help that he sleeps for such long stretches and that my boobs got so full that he couldn't empty them. His latch was good, but not great, so that was something that we had to work on as well. It takes a while for your body to coordinate up with the demands of your baby, but rest assured...it does. After a short while, breastfeeding will become second nature and baby will take to the breast wonderfully. My advise to anyone is to just hang in there. It does get better!

After getting myself completely certified as a Birth Doula, I think that I would really like to pursue a Postpartum Doula certification as well. The smallest gestures go a long ways for a new family and I would love to help care for a new baby and help out around the house of a family in need. A few of my friends brought us meals and I cannot begin to describe how helpful that was for us. I now want to be that support person for others. I love helping and this is an area that I see myself doing great things in.

I know that I am still in the postpartum period myself and that I am still healing, but I feel fantastic! My energy may not be quite where I would like it, but I'm happy and proud of all that I have been accomplishing. My mom's visit was very eventful and I never felt overwhelmed with our outings. It was great having an extra set of hands for that time, but I'm confident I will do just fine alone with my boys every day. Although I feel like my entire schedule revolves around my little nursling, I'm still doing what I need to do and getting to wherever I need to be.

But as for today, I'm doing nothing! I'm officially calling in for a day of rest and pure pajama laziness. I am currently watching both of my boys sleep (which means that I should be, too), but it's really nice having some time to myself. I sometimes forget what 'me' time feels like...especially now that I have two little guys demanding my attention!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Soooo....I totally have anxiety now. :( Expect random phone calls from me crying needing your advice lol.