Thursday, December 2, 2010

Fingerprints


Levi has been working on his scuba diving course, so I've been left with some lovely "me" time two evenings a week. I've taken advantage of this mostly by Netflixing all of the movies I know he doesn't want to watch with me! Nice excuse, right?! I just watched Remember Me, the new one with Robert Pattinson and Emilie de Ravin. It was pretty slow, but it turned out to be a real tear jerker at the end. Anyways, there was a quote in the movie that really grabbed my attention...

"Our fingerprints don't fade from the lives we touch"

How very true! I think back to every relationship I've had- whether they be family, friendships, couple relationships, work, teacher-student, etc. and I realized that everyone has worked together to shape me into the person I am now. Life isn't easy and it sure isn't all sunshine and rainbows, but each person that I have interacted with was truly a necessity. If those that have hurt me and even those that have inspired me had never entered into my life, I may not have all that I have now and be who I am today. Lucas is a product of Levi and I...who may never have come together if other relationships had not failed. I would not be here in Alaska if we did not feel the need to end some relationships and start our lives fresh. I would never have learned to stand up for myself if I did not encounter those who took advantage of me. And I may have never been exposed to new interests (and my love of sushi!) if someone had not opened me to these new experiences.

Sometimes we are over taken by others actions, but it's important to remember that overcoming these obstacles only stand to make us stronger.Our lives are like a blank canvas when we are born and the people we encounter and form relationships with are the ones who ultimately paint our picture. Be thankful for everything and everyone in your life- both good and bad. We live. We love. We learn. And we grow. Never stop interacting with the world around you, it just may make you a better person!

No comments: