Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Nursing School

Well, I did it. I got accepted into Nursing School early! It's a great honor to be given an early opportunity, and it just goes to show that maintaining a 4.0 truly has paid off! But even though this is exciting news, it was one that was very difficult for me to hear.

Levi brought the mail in on Saturday and there was a large envelope from UAA's School of Nursing. When he picked it up, my heart stopped. I knew what was inside and I froze. He opened up the letter and started enthusiastically reading my early acceptance notice with a smile on his face from ear to ear. I on the other hand, was trying my hardest not to burst into tears. This is fantastic news, but receiving something so life-changing only four days postpartum was a bit too much to handle.

I am so excited to start nursing school and finish my degree that I've been working on for far too long. I can't wait to finish here and then pursue my ultimate goal of Midwifery. We intend to move as soon as I'm finished with school, and Levi is counting on that sooner than later.

I've been an emotional wreck over this whole idea. I only have a little over a week to make my decision as to whether I accept this offer or not, so I've had lots of contemplating to do. I have no concerns over whether I can juggle school and my children, my question is now 'do I want to?' I have always excelled in school, and I've been doing it with a toddler for the last year. I truly enjoy learning and pushing myself and when I'm not in school I often find myself feeling lazy and unproductive. I'm so used to being over-stretched that any freedom or me-time throws me for a loop!

I seriously went into mama bear mode that night and barely put Levin down. I stared at him for hours trying to wrap my head around leaving him sooner than I anticipated. I was worried leaving him at 9 months old to start, now that's all been jumped up to 4.5 months. I didn't leave Lucas alone for the first time until he was 18 months. Obviously, things are going to be much different this time around.

I just did a little research on previous semesters and since I've taken two of the courses designated for this first semester of nursing school already, I only have 3 classes to take. Looking at the schedules from the past, it appears that I will only need to go on campus for roughly three hours a day...Monday through Friday. I suppose that really isn't as bad as I originally thought. So although I am still not 100% set on my decision, I think I am going to accept the early offer. There are a lot of things that I will need to take care of before my start date in early January, but if I get a head start now I'm sure it wont be too overwhelming.

So, wish me luck! Looks like I'm about to take a big leap and jump into full juggle mode here in a few months. But I know I can do it. I have two little reasons for bettering myself and pursuing a career that gives me the perfect flexibility to help provide for my family and still be at home frequently to play mommy!

2 comments:

Jacquie said...

Congratulations Crystal! I hope you take it (if not, i'll still love you:)) you have worked so hard for this and you're right, it will be greath for Lucas and Levin...and Levi! Good luck, you know you can do this. Love you.

Jacquie said...

p.s.
I love reading your blogs and you are definitely an inspiration to me! I started sac state and I'm determined to get and keep a 4.0. WOO!