Monday, November 21, 2011

First Birth

I finally got to attend my first birth...and it was everything that I hoped it would be. Honestly, I nearly cried when the baby came out. It was beautiful!

The mother chose to labor in the tub at a birth center and the majority of my comforting measures were verbal. But there were times that I had to use touch and massage to help get her through some of the stronger ones. I brought Levin along for the ride and he behaved so well the entire time. I'm fortunate to have such an amazing little guy!

I left there feeling more confident than ever in my decision to join the birthing field. This is exactly where I am suppose to be! No doubt about it.

I chatted with the birth assistant on my way out and decided that I want to look in that position a bit further. She was floored when I told her this was the first birth that I attended. She went on and on about how much of a natural I was and that the midwives at this facility would absolutely love me. She urged me to consider going through the proper training to do what she does. She is also currently in the same nursing program that I am about to start and told me not to worry so much about the work load of the program. Although everyone tries to scare you into thinking its so demanding, she said it isn't half as bad as she expected. So I gave her my business card and we are going to meet up and chat some more. What better relief than to get advise from someone currently in the program. I'm excited!

How amazing would that be?! A birth assistant at a free standing birth center? I think that a perfect position for me! Next week I'm also meeting up with a fellow doula who just recently started working as a birth assistant herself. Hopefully she can give me a sense of whether this is something that I truly want to pursue.

So yay for birth and beautifully big babies! I left there in such a baby high and cannot wait for another experience! I'm officially craving some more baby action :)

No comments: