Wednesday, August 17, 2011

A sad departure

Although my brother was originally going to stay until mid September, we decided that it was best for him to head home before school started next week. We didn't want him falling behind in school and he really wasn't doing much up here anyways. He didn't end up working as much as we hoped, and he was really uncomfortable with the idea of being present when Levin is born. I guess I can't blame him though. Fifteen year old boys just don't have the love for babies that I do!

So he headed home today, after 4.5 weeks of his Alaskan summer. I wish he had been more active and prone to exploring this beautiful state, but he was a typical lazy teenage boy. He did however spend lots of time with Lucas and their relationship flourished. Lucas always asked to stay with Brian when Levi and I went places, and they played hard every day that he was here.

I didn't tell Lucas that he was leaving until the morning of because I was afraid he would get upset and act out. He acted alright while we were walking through the airport together but once Brian entered into the security area, reality set it. Lucas stood there shocked for a moment and tried to run after him. We said our goodbyes and exchanged hugs...but Lucas was obviously having a hard time. I had to pull him away and try to turn his attention elsewhere while Brian walked into the other direction.

Lucas was devastated to say the least! He immediately started crying for Brian and said that he didn't want him to go. I tried to cheer him up, but it only seemed to make things worse. We walked over to the food area and sat down, and that is where he completely lost it. He instantly started bawling and the tears just would not stop. I have never seen him this sad before. He could barely speak because he was sobbing so hard and he kept crying that he missed his uncle Brian already. I swooped him up and he continued to cry in my arms for some time. It was the saddest and most pitiful thing I have ever seen, and it literally brought me to tears too. It really broke my sons heart to watch his uncle leave, and it broke mine to see him in this state.

My mom and youngest brother will be here in two weeks for their visit, and I'm already dreading their departure. Saying good-bye has never been easy, but now that my son is affected just as much (if not more), I foresee them getting even harder. That is by far the biggest downfall to living so far away from our loved ones.

1 comment:

Jacquie said...

omg I almost cried just reading this, aw :(