Monday, August 1, 2011

Lucas' Pregnancy & Birth Story

Most aspects of my life now revolve around pregnancy, birth and babies, so it is no surprise that is what’s most often on my mind. With all the anticipation as I approach closer to my own due date and as I begin scheduling more clients for my newly started Doula business, I’m reminded of my own experience venturing into motherhood. Every time I hear a birth story or learn more about the processes of labor, my mind takes me back to the greatest day of my life...Lucas' birth day!

I figured that I should document that journey that we took together before I have two birth stories to share!

As my pregnancy began, I thought it was truly going to be the end of me. I was so overwhelmed with morning sickness that simply getting out of bed was a nearly impossible task. I was still working at the time and was very thankful to be around so many supportive people. I always had a toothbrush and toothpaste on hand because during those first few months, I vomited nearly every single hour of the day. I immediately lost 10 lbs and was on the verge of severe dehydration. I was prescribed anti-nausea medication which I tried to only take when I absolutely needed to because once it was in my body, I was comatose.

Things starting looking up when my morning sickness subsided around 14 weeks. I slowly starting gaining weight and my energy levels were unbelievable. It was summer time here in Alaska and you couldn't keep me off the trails!

I finally felt alive again and my appetite was unsatisfiable. By the second trimester I was working with my husband up on the slopes of Prudhoe Bay. Being one of the very few women up there, and pregnant to boot, I sure got a lot of special treatment! The kitchen staff always asked my input on meals and the 24/7 access to food was just what I dreamed of! Needless to say, it wasn't long before I started gaining some good weight.

We found out at 17w5d that we were expecting a boy...and boy we were excited! We were both nervous and somewhat frightened of having a girl. We were told that he looked healthy as could be and was growing right on track!

The remainder of my pregnancy was very normal and free from complications. I had awful back pains and was forced to wear a brace...but that's to be expected for someone as tiny as myself. I also had restless leg syndrome, heartburn, hemorrhoids, bleeding gums, and many of the other "normal" pregnancy symptoms. Oh joy.

I had an appointment with my midwife just two days before I had gone into labor. She was in awe over how well my body was handing a full term baby and shocked that I wasn't the slightest bit swollen. Here I was with this gigantic belly being balanced on skinny little chicken legs...and they didn't even puff up at the slightest. She said all was well and estimated baby to be roughly 7-7.5 lbs.

My original due date was bumped up two days after receiving measurements from our ultrasound and what do you know...that's the day he decided to come! (November 8, 2008 – 39w5d). I woke up around 4:30 in the morning with very minor contractions, but woke Levi up to tell him that I thought this was going to be the day! I just knew it. We both went back to sleep for a bit and after a few hours I decided to come sit on the couch. Laying down was no longer comfortable.

I labored peacefully on the couch while Levi rested some more and I told my mom that this was definitely going to be the big day! The morning went by really fast and I never felt overwhelmed by the pain, so I decided to stay home as long as I possibly could.

The neurotic nesting truly came out at this time! I was so relaxed and comfortable with being in labor that I sent Levi away to run errands. Here I was in active stage labor, and my husband was making a trip to the bank and the store. It's so funny to think about it now, but I was just so content with my body doing what it needed to do.

After he returned home the contractions were nearly 4-5 minutes apart so we decided to head to the hospital.

Once I arrived up in Labor and Delivery, the nurse asked how she could help me. I told her I was in labor and she gave me this look as if she didn't believe me. She must not have taken me serious because she sure left me waiting for quite some time. They hooked me up to the monitors and were pretty shocked at the strength of my current contractions. Like I said, I was handling them so well! My midwife happened to be working that day so I was excited when she came to examine me. Surprisingly, I was already dilated to 7cm! No one could believe it. They told me I had better get to the delivery room before it was time to push.

Once in the room I hit transition and the contractions got very strong and more frequent. I was asked if I wanted any pain meds, but I refused. I'd made it this far...what's a few more centimeters? I remember getting very nauseous at this point and it wasn't long before they had to retrieve a puke bucket for me. Transition was NOT fun, but thankfully it didn't last long.

My midwife decided to examine me once again and I was at 9cm. She chose to break my water and told me that it wouldn't be long before the little man was out! I remember being so worried that I may not know if my water had broken during pregnancy, but let me tell ya...you know! It was quite a warm uncomfortable gush and that definitely can't be mistaken for anything else. She left the room and told me to have her notified when I felt the urge to push. It wasn't long before I had them hunt her down!

I asked my nurse what the average push time for a first time mother was and he estimated about 2 hrs. WHAT?! That must have been all the incentive that I needed because I pushed Lucas out in 25 minutes flat. Seriously. I remember having a bit of difficulties pushing at first because I kept wanting to push my legs away from my body instead of pulling them closer, but I finally got the hang of it. At one point I was given an oxygen mask because both baby and I need it. That final push was emotionally overwhelming as my baby boy came out and joined us in the world. The placed him on my chest and it was love at first site. Levi and I were both teary eyes and emotional and it completely hit us...we we're now parents!

Levi cut the cord and they took him to the scale to be weighed.

A whopping 8lbs. 5.2oz...can you believe it? Well I sure didn't. I asked them if they were sure and insisted they weigh him again. I never in my wildest dreams would have suspected my tiny little body could carry, and birth, an 8.5lb baby!

He was big, healthy, and absolutely perfect! Our lives were forever changed!

Lucas Danger Cecil!

No comments: