Saturday, December 11, 2010

Am I broken?

I never imagined the heartache that I would face in attempting to expand my family. I never thought that I could be one of those women who had difficulties conceiving, for some reason or another. This experience has been emotionally draining and makes me often question how I'm suppose to stay optimistic.

This month, I decided to purchase an over the counter ovulation predictor test. My cycles have decreased to 25 days for the past few months, but they've remained steady. I wasn't sure if this had any effect on my fertile days, so I gave this test a try. Based on cycle length you are told which day to begin testing. From there, you re-test each day at the same time until you receive a positive result. This ultimately means that you have a surge of the LH hormone in your system and will therefore ovulate within 24-36hrs. Also known as your most fertile window!

During my nursing pre-req courses I excelled in Anatomy & Physiology. I have a large fascination for the human body and how it works. The final section we covered, the reproductive system, was by far my favorite! I loved learning about all of the hormones, their jobs, and how everything comes together to make us functional. Because of my cycle and my knowledge of the reproductive system, I had a good idea of when a positive test should have arrived. But I was wrong. The package came with 7 tests (and I expected a positive on days 4 or 5), but each day continued to turn up negative. Is it stress? Seems that I am still ovulating as if I were having a 28 days cycle as opposed to whats really happening in my body. Having this background made it very difficult for me to not think the worst. I honestly started to panic and wonder if I was even ovulating at all? Perhaps I have a hormonal imbalance? Or maybe I'm too underweight? Not healthy enough? Oh the horrors that were racing through my head. Thankfully, with one final test left, I detected my LH surge.

Whew! What a relief. I AM OVULATING!!

A few days after ovulation I had some light spotting. It is common for a light bleed when the egg implants itself, and this was the first month I noticed anything. At this point I really started being optimistic and felt that this could be our month!

Not even a few days later, my entire household came down with the flu. I was nauseous and vomiting and worried that getting sick could really jeopardize any chances of conceiving. As the days rolled around to test I was so nervous that I couldn't bring myself to do it. When I finally got the courage, I nearly bursted into tears just waiting for the results. Unfortunately, we got another negative.

I have been so disappointed and depressed these past two days that I feel like I can't leave the house for fear of crying at any given moment. I manage to go a few hours and then break down again. I am so full of mixed emotions that I honestly don't know how to handle them. It seems that nearly everyone around me is pregnant or giving birth and I can't help but wonder why I am left out. This is what I want and this is what I NEED. I have not been on birth control for 5 years, so it concerns me that Lucas is still an only child! I can't accept that its just not meant to happen so I am determined to do whatever I have to do. I've been researching into natural supplements and herbs that can possibly increase our chances and naturally help balance out my hormones.

I do not have medical insurance - only coverage from the university for being a student. Since birth control methods are what they advertise, I highly doubt they offer any fertility assistance. And I cannot receive care from the Native Hospital until I show a proof of pregnancy. I honestly don't know what else to do or where else to turn.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hon, life has different plans for everyone and i had a friend that got married a day after me and couldn't get prego for almost 4 years and out of the blue now is prego almost 3 months and there was nothing wrong health wise with her or her husband... i believe you just need to not worry continue getting your education done and just stop stressing about it and then if it happens it happens... i know its hard to hear that because i am worried the same thing that if i try to get prego again it wont happen so thats why i told myself now if it happens it happens if not then God has a different plan for me and at least i have one healthy child... so wish you luck and just don't worry enjoy being a mommy and just enjoying being a wife and sooner or later it will happen... there are alot of people that try to get prego and just cant so your still young have a whole life ahead of you :) Good luck and God bless your little family

Crystal said...

Thank you! I know that everything will happen when it's meant to, but its just difficult when you map your life out and it doesn't go according. Having Lucas has changed my life so drastically, so I know exactly what I am missing out on. God bless you and your family as well. I love hearing updates of your little man!

Anonymous said...

Crystal,
Throw away your map!!!You are a wonderful woman who God will bless with another child when he is ready for you to have one. Not one minute sooner, no matter who you see or what you spend. I love you and have seen many women go thru this very thing, they adopted after they go the new baby they be came pregnant. It was only after they stopped stressing about becoming pregnant that they did.
I know it is hard to just stop stressing...try praying when ever you think about getting pregnant just say to your self "let go Crystal let God Crystal" soon you will let go.
I love you and cant wait to see you!
Love Grandma Debby