Friday, December 10, 2010

Going Green!

As a mother and a housewife, cleanliness has always been a top priority for me. I swear that I have OCD and cleaning truly is my natural stress reliever. I do my best not to use strong chemicals that may do more harm than good, and we also try to eat healthy foods.

I've been making an effort to buy more organic fruits and veggies and eat more healthier, well prepared meals. Fruits are often outrageously priced here in Alaska, and as I'm sure you can image, organic is even more so. But I am proud of the progress we're making (soy milk, spinach, bananas, avo's, etc) I tell Levi all the time that I wish we were rich mainly so that we could eat more! I know we're a tiny family, but we know how to put the food away. I don't dare mention our grocery bills. Yikes.

I made a decision to go back to all natural cleaners. I absolutely love the company Melaleuca and all of their natural products! Back when I lived in California, I used to have access to them easily through my grandma and I am constantly asking myself why I discontinued their use. I purchased the start up package and am anxiously awaiting my cleaners!!


Melaleuca has a wide range of products from cleaners, vitamins, bath and body products, and makeup. The melaleuca oil, commonly known as tea tree oil, is a natural antibacterial and antifungal and people have even been known to chew on the leaves themselves to help alleviate headaches. I'm anxious to switch over everything in our home to these healthy, organic products! Not only will be using safer products, but the solutions are incredibly concentrated so we will actually be saving money too! Always a plus in my book.


On another note, I finally got myself the Organic ERGO I've been eyeing! The huge Kelty pack I was using for our hikes was nearly breaking my back and after hearing so many great reviews about this product, I just had to have one myself. Although Lucas is almost too big to fit in it, it's much more comfortable and he actually enjoys riding on my back. The first day we had it he begged me to carry him around the house. When asked if he was ready to get down, he would say "no...riding mama's back!"


"ERGObaby’s baby carrier design supports a natural sitting position for babies, eliminating compression of the spine and hips that can be caused by unsupported suspension. The baby carrier also balances the baby's weight to parents' hips and shoulders, and alleviates physical stress for the parent." It is currently the best carrier on the market and the style I have allows me to carry up to 40lbs. (Lucas is currently 32) I'm so happy Lucas likes it because I sure do! I also have the heart to heart infant insert for next time around, so this product will definitely not go unused!

2 comments:

Nancy said...

You are just amazing. I know that might sound odd, but seriously as I read your blog I think to myself, "how does she do it?" I think you are a great Mommy and housewife, and person. Keep up the good work! :)

Crystal said...

Thank you sweetie- that means a lot to me! I think you are a fantastic mother too! Wish we lived closer together =(