Saturday, December 4, 2010

Pukie Lukie


For the first time in Lucas' life, he caught a bug that had him vomiting everything in his tiny little tummy. I am very fortunate that we went this long without having to experience these flu like symptoms, but it sure didn't make it any easier to watch him suffering.

As you can imagine, he panicked each time he vomited out of fear and a sheer lack of understanding what was going on. His two year molars are working their way in and it's been nearly impossible to keep this child's hands out of his mouth. The first time he vomited all over the living room we naturally assumed that he had choked himself. Unfortunately, that was not the case.

On average, he was vomiting every half hour and I was scrounging to find materials. We went through nearly every towel and blanket in this home and we worked our way through nearly every pair of pj's this boy owned. The moment I would finish changing the sheets and think he was ready to go back to sleep, it would all happen over again. THANK GOODNESS FOR MATTRESS PROTECTORS. Period.

He slept for a good portion of the night where he received a break from all the vomiting, but woke up at five covered in fresh vomit all down his front and poo all the way up his back. I paused for a moment and thought "holy cow...do I seriously want to be a nurse?" I couldn't believe how much smelly bodily fluids were on the kid and the only thing I could do was throw him in the tub...again.

Daddy decided to give him some of my chocolate organic soy milk, but that soon made its way back up on my carpet. I think he ate a total of one bowl of applesauce and two crackers all day, but that was all he was willing to try. After nap he was playing happily, but was caught off guard again. Levi was so fantastic and never hesitated to care for Lucas. Parenthood is definitely a messy job, but I've never been prouder of my husband.

It's been 8 hours since we've had any messes to clean up so I hope this is a good sign! A sick and vomiting toddler is by far the saddest thing I've ever seen. I pray that we go another two years before experiencing this again.

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Aww, that is so sad. Kyleigh sometimes has a random vomit if she eats too much ketchup (her favorite thing). LOL we learned that one the hard way after she went to town dipping her finger in it. We thought it was cute because she was maybe 13 months and could barely get any in her mouth (we thought) lol. Boy did we pay for the cuteness that night. :o( It really is the saddest thing to see, and you feel so helpless cause you can't make them feel better. Poor Boy. I hope he is doing much better now.

P.S. I love the title to this entry, its sad but I must admit it made me giggle a little.

Crystal said...

Haha- we used to call him Pukie Lukie when he was just a few months old! He's doing much better now, and so I am, but poor Levi caught our bug. It's definitely been a 24-bug for each of us... just thankful we all caught it on a different day. Don't think I could have taken care of everyone AND myself at the same time.

Nancy said...

:( that is no fun. Luckily its only a 24 hour thing. Hope Levi is better by now too! I hate how that works. When K's dad and I were together we both got a stomach bug the same night and it was not fun at all! Very lucky you had to only care for one of you at a time! :)