Thursday, December 30, 2010

Certified Nurse Midwife

I've figured it all out. My career that is!

I have always had a love of pregnancy and birth stories and a few months ago I expressed my interest in becoming a certified lactation consultant. Levi's uncle refereed me to his wife's midwife, and I have spent some time researching into midwifery since then.

There are two types of midwifes, Direct-Entry Midwifes and Certified Nurse Midwifes. The Direct Entry pathway does not require any nursing education and primarily works in out-of-the-hospital settings. A Certified Nurse Midwife are those educated in both nursing and midwifery and who can practice in hospitals, birth centers, and at home.

I cannot think of a better career for myself than working with women through pregnancy, labor, birth and during the postpartum period...all while promoting natural and healthy births!

I have found a midwifery program here in Alaska that works similar to a distance course, with an added apprenticeship program in the community. I have been in contact with the founder of the program and have been talking it over with Levi for a few days now. This program certifies in the non-nursing midwifery aspect, which is the only thing making me hesitant. But, I am absolutely in love with the curriculum! The entire course is broken down into 54 modules- all of which fascinate me. The first unit begins with the history and study of midwifery, ethics, law, etc. and then we would jump into antepartum: all about pregnancy, nutrition, herbology and then some! We would also have lessons on labor, birth complications, pharmacology, and all things postpartum. There would then be numerous units on newborn care, breastfeeding, skills, complications, neonatal resuscitation, etc. I know that I definitely want to go the advanced route since my nursing degree is finally within reach, but I think this could be a great start to my ultimate goals!

The school is reasonably priced and because you work at your own pace, I think that I could really incorporate this into my current studies. I would love to complete such a program by the time I graduate from nursing school...how ideal would that be?! But I guess the real question is "can I do this?" Can I really attend two colleges while doing daycare and raising my own two children?? Since I was a teenager I feel like I've always been testing my limits with work and school, but I truly feel that this is what I was meant to do! There is nothing else that better incorporates my love for science, babies, and pregnancy.

I really think I can do this! And just as importantly, so does Levi. He thinks this would be a wonderful career for me. Not only would I passionately enjoy what I do, but I would be contributing significantly to our household income. I think it's important to stay home and complete school while the children are young, but I definitely see myself jump starting this fantastic career once they are in school.

I can do this, I know I can.

1 comment:

Sara and Michael said...

I think this is so awesome! You are going to be sooooo busy, though! Just make sure to have some "you" time in all of this. I think you'll do amazing as a midwife and I applaud you for taking on all that you already do and want to do! :)

P.S.- thank you for your blog comment too! :) I LOVE mommy blogs, especially when they are written by my friends!