Sunday, May 1, 2011

Alaska Baby & Toddler Fair



Yesterday was the annual Alaska Baby & Toddler Fair, and since I'm about to have one of each here in a few months, I figured I'd better attend! I almost didn't go considering I didn't have my little man in tow, but I'm very thankful that I did. It didn't differ much from last year and most of the same vendors were present, but this time around I actually got something out of attending.

I was able to speak one-on-one with a chiropractor who specializes in pregnancy and I'm convinced more than ever that my back needs some adjusting. I used to be seen by a chiropractor religiously back in California, and even through the first half of my pregnancy with Lucas. It makes it difficult that this service is purely an out of pocket cost (which sure adds up!) but I know that it helps my body perform at its best. The lady was super sweet and very knowledgeable. I'm excited to show Levi all my paperwork and make a consultation.

And most importantly...I found Lucas a school!! Anchorage Cooperative Preschool. I saw the booth with a big "now enrolling" sign and was skeptical to even approach. I was immediately discouraged when they informed me that they follow the Anchorage School District schedule and enrollment guidelines, but went ahead and told them my situation anyways. It must have been my lucky day because the lady in charge of enrollment was right there at the table! They told me that they'd be more than happy to work with me in trying to get Lucas in this year. As mentioned before, the state requires the child to be three on or before September 1st. Unfortunately, Lucas doesn't turn three until November 8th. So as a means around this rule, they said that I could attend class with him from the start of the school year until he turns 3! Plus, for me attending with him, I will not have to pay any tuition because they would view us more as "observers" rather than an attending student.

This isn't the exact situation I wanted, but I think it'll be a great experience for him. The preschool program is only two days a week from 9-12 so I think this will be a nice transition for him away from home. I'm not ready to fully give him up just yet, so this is a nice little compromise! They said that I'm more than welcome to bring my baby in arms along to class as well, and that having an infant would in no way keep me/us from attending. She also reminded me that being potty trained is a requirement, but reassured me that if I am present while he is still learning, that is perfectly acceptable!

The last thing that I really liked about this school was the payment schedule. I knew we'd be paying for Lucas to go to preschool, but this place was very reasonable. Granted he will only be going twice a week, but I wont have to start paying tuition until he starts going solely on his own. There were three tiers of tuition and I was so thrilled to see that the cost for each student varies based on the amount of parental participation. For those who commit to volunteering in the classroom a certain number of hours a month, they receive tuition that is nearly half as cheap as those who don't. I am glad to have found a school that wants the parents to be involved and that was so kind and willing to work with me. I think this will be a wonderful transition for my son and I am excited to start preschool this August...with both my boys!

1 comment:

Amanda Coen said...

That is amazing! i have never heard of a preschool doing that before!