Sunday, May 29, 2011

August: welcoming change

August is going to be a month of great change for the Cecil Family! Two extremely big events are scheduled to take place:

1- We will be welcoming our second baby boy into this world, and
2- Lucas is scheduled to begin Preschool!

I am excited, yet skeptical at the same time. It's as if to say our lives are never going to be the same after this August. Which, in all reality, is completely true!

I have quite a few mixed emotions about these upcoming events, but I am excited nonetheless. I feel somewhat guilty...as if we are replacing Lucas because he is no longer a baby. I know that is not the case at all, but I'm still in disbelief that my first born son is entering into the world of school!

As I mentioned before, Lucas missed the cut-off requirement for nearly every preschool in Anchorage. And believe me...I called them all. I met the lady in charge of registration for Anchorage Cooperative Preschool recently and she gave me her personal contact information because she really wanted to help. Low and behold, she came through!!

They are completely working with me to ensure Lucas can attend school during this 2011-2012 school year. Classes begin in August and I will be required to attend with him every day until he physically turns three in November. That way, they can't get in trouble for not following protocol. Although this is going to be a bit of a challenge with a new baby, it is only 2 days a week and they are completely fine with me bringing baby along! I couldn't ask for more!

The philosophy of this school is different than most that I looked into. Family involvement and commitment is mandatory. It is for parents who wish to be an active part of their children's preschool experience and who are willing to work together to make it a success. Basically, the families are the owners of the school. It's a non-profit organization in which the families help educate, manage and raise funds for the school. Although the teacher is in charge of the curriculum, parental input is completely encouraged!

And best yet...a summer play group is now in affect for all students to meet weekly and get to know each other before the school year begins! The families strive to have a close connection with each other and do many activities outside of the classroom. They even coordinated a big camping trip for Memorial Day weekend. How awesome is that?

So, August - although I am excited for you to come, I am fine with you taking your time. We can't wait to meet our little baby boy, but I still have so much prep to do! And even though I am beyond thrilled to have found a great school for Lucas, I am not exactly prepared to consider him a big kid. He will forever be my baby.

No comments: